Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Simple Salted Caramel Sauce

Sometimes you just need a rich, sweet caramel sauce. I mean really - cream, sugar, butter... there's (almost) no better topping for French vanilla ice cream (hot fudge still tops my list). But if you're like me, butter and cream are in short supply at home, and when I needed some caramel sauce for a recipe (which you'll see tomorrow!) I had no pre-made nor any butter and cream. But, I did have the (more wholesome), flavourful almond milk in my fridge, and combined with both white and brown sugar and a touch of salt I soon had a vegan version of a recipe I found on Bright Eyed Baker. Without any need for additional solid fat, the sauce is easy, cheap and versatile. While I'm sure it's not as decadent and gooey as heavy cream-laden sauce is, the flavour is remarkable and the texture works perfectly in recipes or added to yogurt or cut up apples.

By the way - if you're looking for a very salted caramel, add another 1/4 tsp of Kosher salt. 

Shared with Gluten Free Fridays - sorry for the lack of picture!

Simple Salted Caramel Sauce
Inspired by Bright Eyed Baker

Makes about 3/4 cup, 12 (1-tbsp) servings
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, warmed (I used Silk)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt

  1. Add sugars to a large, heavy-bottomed pot, spreading to an even layer.
  2. Place medium heat and cook until it is a dark golden-brown.
  3. Remove from the heat and quickly stir the warm milk.
  4. Return to heat and cook, stirring, for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 70.1
Total Fat: 0.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 115.6 mg
Total Carbs: 20.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 0.1 g

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!