Sunday, September 30, 2012

Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter (#SundaySupper)

I love simple food. Most of the time it's because I'm simply too lazy to cook something overly "involved" for just me (nobody else shares my super-restricted diet thankfully - wouldn't wish that on anyone!), but sometimes I really do like to just let one or two ingredients really shine.

I think of my mom's apple pie (I'm on an apple pie reminiscing kick these Sundays) which was literally crust (flour, shortening, salt, vinegar, water) and apples. That was it. No fancy-pants techniques, no caramel (though I hear it is delicious), no gooey starch-thickened binder - just apples. Likewise with my Tomato Confit, Soused Strawberries and Blueberry Butter - not much else is going on other than showcasing the main ingredient.

This always goes double (or triple) when a fruit or vegetable is in season here - our growing season is pitifully short, which means that local fruit and veggies are there and then they're gone in a flash. Finding ways to keep the goodness of everything lasting throughout the year usually means a mixture of freezing, canning and drying - from tomatoes to berries and grapes to apples and peaches. When I happened across a great deal on fresh "seconds" Ontario peaches at the farmer's market, I couldn't resist - I bought six pounds of them. I knew what I didn't eat right away wouldn't last very long, but I had a plan. Actually, two plans - this smooth, sultry butter and a killer peach jam which I'll share soon!


Join us, September 30th, 2012 as we share our delicious, mouth-watering recipes! Here’s a sneak peak at what everyone is bringing to our #SundaySupper table. Be sure to stay after dinner at 7pm EST as we share our recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat!

Here's our quick and simple lineup!

Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:

Main Dishes:

Desserts:

Beverages:

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper  live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 Ingredient Recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat!  We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

This is also submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend, Gluten-Free Monday and Gluten Free Fridays


Allspice Peach Butter
Makes about 2 1/3 cups, 20 (2-tbsp) servings
5 large peaches, washed and pitted (no need to peel)
1/4 cup peach juice (or water, or orange juice)
1/4 tsp allspice
  1. Puree all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
  2. Pour into a saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 250F.
  4. Pour the reduced peach mixture into a small casserole dish and bake 4 hours longer (stir once an hour or so during cooking).
  5. Let cool slightly (or completely, but it's good warm too!) then smear on your favourite toast, bagel or muffin and enjoy!  
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 18.3
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 0.5 mg
Total Carbs: 4.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 0.3 g

32 comments :

  1. Peach butter?! I love the idea. Love the dash of all spice in it too. I'm imagining of the lovely things I would bake with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a batch of apple butter on the stove right now but this sounds even better. I love peaches! And I love how simple it is with such a small list of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best ways to preserve peaches. Love it! And no sugar is a plus. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of fruit butters -- apple, pumpkin...now I want peach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooo....I love the sound of peach butter. so easy and no added sugar! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, I am drooling thinking about that fresh peach taste, looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I've made apple butter a bunch of times but I have never even thought about peach butter, and my goodness that sounds good. I love the spices and have I ever told you that I just love your toast topper series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm...love peaches and have never made peach butter. Def on my to do list now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made apple butter and pear butter but I've never made peach butter! Guess I'm going to have to add this to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to slather this on my toast every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made peach preserves. I never thought about making a butter out of the peaches. It would be wonderful on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! This is perfect for when the peaches start coming into season (not here- but somewhere- and then they ship them here! :-) ) Thanks! Saving this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the addition of allspice to balance the sweetness of peach butter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why have I never had a fruit butter before. This peach one sounds amazing - need to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to see that you didn't add any sugar to this. Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have the best toast toppers and love that this one is so easy! You could create a chain called " Sarah's Toppers"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting! I bet its delish! Never made a fruit butter before....hmmm.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I am bookmarking this to keep for when peaches are in season. I get so many of them and would love to make this peach butter with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of Peach butter. Simple to make and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good, easy and it isn't unhealthy. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH this sounds so good on a bagel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea of peach butter!The all spice sounds like a wonderful addition in this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh yummy, this looks fabulous the peaches have been so good this year, definitely will make this one for the kids and the hubs :) hey me too!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW....this seems easy enought! I need to try this!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. YUM! I think this just bumped apple butter out of the top spot! Wonderful recipe, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, this sounds great. When I was a kid my Mom used to buy apple butter, but this looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG, YUM! I love all the sauces and butters I'm seeing in the blogosphere lately! This is really creative and awesome! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks fabulous! I would love it if you visited my new Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmm, peach butter. I'm a huge fan. I love the addition of allspice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds awesome! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Next Friday one lucky blogger will be randomly selected to win a case of Planet Rice! Its yummy! Its gluten free, sprouted and grown in the US. You can link up to 3 entries! The more you link up the better you chances to win! (entries from US only) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow! What a neat idea! I am a new fan and am totally going to try this! I hope I can persuade you to come share at my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-3.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!