Saintly Sweet Chocolate - Cherry Cupcakes
Makes 28 mini cupcakes, or 14 regular
1/2 cup pitted black cherries
3/4 tsp pure stevia powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp olive oil (nothing too flavourful)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup tart cherry juice
1 tbsp egg replacer powder
1/4 cup cool coffee
1 cup Kamut flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp vegan shortening/margarine (I like Earth Balance "Buttery" Sticks)
1/2 cup raw cane sugar, ground finely
pinch sea salt
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp plain, low fat soy milk
28 vegan jumbo chocolate chips, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease 28 mini-muffin cups lightly
- In a food processor, puree the cherries, stevia, coconut sugar, oil, vinegar, vanilla and cherry juice until smooth.
- Mix together the egg replacer powder and coffee, then add to the processor and blend in.
- Add flours, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and pulse in until combined, but don't "whip" it.
- Bake mini-cupcakes 15-16 minutes and cool completely in the tins (regular cupcakes take about 22 minutes).
- In a bowl, beat together vegan shortening/margarine, sugar, salt, agave and vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat in, followed by the soy milk (you may need more or less, add slowly!).
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes (be careful, they're crumbly!) and top with chocolate chips.
Total Fat: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 12.8 mg
Total Carbs: 17.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 1.4 g