Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bread: Something (Sort Of) Simple

Is it really already September? I can't believe it... seems like just yesterday I was graduating from college, and there were always eons of time before my baby sister left for her own post-secondary adventure. But no, the calendar has been flipped to the dreaded "S" month, when both parents and kids would still rather be using books to press the Summer flowers with than study from. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm a little saddened by thr thought that my closest friend in the past 4 years is now going to be 4 hours away having the time of her life.

I won't lie - I would have liked to have found some gainful employment this past Summer. For one thing, it sure would have helped foot the bill for my latest outpouring of specialty, allergen-free baking experiments filled with all sorts of new (to me) and nifty ingredients. At the same time, though, I'm incredibly grateful to have had this "one last Summer" free to spend with my little sister. In the hectic world of appointments, classes, trips, expectations and meetings, it was comforting to know that there was at least one person on your plane of existence that was in exactly the same position mentally, too.

So it didn't really surprise me that my mom - dealing with her own brands of insanity between work, home and my sister's imminent departure - requested that the latest "work bread" I bake for her be something simple. Basic. And beyond all else, something that was familiar. A simple loaf of whole wheat bread, she said, that's all I want. That's all I need right now.

Truer words were never spoken. I understand precisely what she means by that - and I too, relish in the delights of "something good" being the same as "something simple". So while this loaf is a bit more involved than "water, flour, yeast", it is still inherently one thing: bread.

This loaf is being sent to Susan for the YeastSpotting event at Wild Yeast.

Supermoist Wheat Bread
Adapted from The New Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery & Nutrition by Laurel Robertson
Makes 1 loaf, 16 slices
1 tsp instant yeast
3 cups (13.8 oz) whole wheat bread flour
2 tbsp (0.4 oz) instant mashed potato flakes
2 tbsp (0.6 oz) ground flaxseed
1 tbsp (0.3 oz) wheat germ
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup warm whole milk
1/2 cup warm water
6 tbsp (3 oz) non-fat Greek style yogurt
2 tbsp (1.5 oz) honey
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp (1 oz) melted, salted butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp bulgur wheat

  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk together yeast, flour, potato flakes, flaxseed, wheat germ and cinnamon.
  2. In another bowl or jug, combine milk, water, yogurt, honey and vanilla.
  3. Add liquids to the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
  4. Knead with the mixer on low speed for 5 minutes, then add butter and salt and continue kneading for 10 minutes longer, until smooth and supple.
  5. Place into an oiled bowl, cover and allow to rest for 2 hours.
  6. Deflate dough and knead briefly. Shape into a round and allow to rest 10 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle a rimmed baking sheet with the bulgur.
  8. Shape the round of dough into a loaf, roll in the bulgur on the cookie sheet and place into a greased loaf pan.
  9. Cover and allow to rise 1 hour.
  10. Preheat oven to 350F.
  11. Bake loaf for 50 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 113.5
Total Fat: 2.4 g
Cholesterol: 4.3 mg
Sodium: 18.3 mg
Total Carbs: 20.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
Protein: 4.2 g

1 comment :

  1. I would have liked to have seen the texture on the inside of the bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback!