I'm still catching up on my bake sale posts (I told you I made a lot - and I'm STILL cooking and taking photos!) and I must apologize for the slowness that they're being put up - that darn school thing keeps getting in my way! I thought today would be a good one to share these apples that I did though - they have a touch of heat to them that reminded me of the gorgeous day outside! Now if only it had been this nice when I went to pick the apples I used!
Without the cayenne pepper, these are just your basic caramel apple. I do favour green or "tart" apples for this too, since the coating is so sugary. But, hey, if you like sweet (or sweet apples like the Deliciouses or MacIntoshes are all you have), use those... I'm not in your kitchen hawking over you, ya know!Cayenne Caramel Apples
8 medium green apples, washed and dried well
16 oz caramel squares
1/4 cup whole milk
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place a craft stick or chopstick into the base of each apple and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt together caramels and milk until smooth.
- Stir in cayenne pepper.
- One by one, swirl in apples, coating thoroughly. Place on prepared sheets.
- Allow to set 8-12 hours before enjoying.
Total Fat: 4.3 g
Cholesterol: 3.7 mg
Sodium: 111.0 mg
Total Carbs: 55.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
Protein: 2.5 g